How to apply for Jobseekers Allowance or Universal Credit.

Sadly, unemployment figures are continuing to rise across the world due to the Covid-19 pandemic.


We want to support our customers who have unfortunately lost their jobs in recent months.

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email

If you’ve recently lost your job due Covid-19, you may need additional income to cover your day-to-day payments while you search for your next role. Thankfully, there is a system in place to give you financial support. If you are in the UK, you may be able to apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or Universal Credit.

Here are the eligibility requirements for both programs, as well information about how to apply for them.

How to claim Job Seeker's Allowance

Check if you’re eligible.

Make a claim for ‘new style’, contribution or income-based JSA on the government website. You do not need to go to JSA interviews and appointments at the moment due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Check if you’re also eligible for Universal Credit. If you are, you could get Universal Credit at the same time as, or instead of, the ‘new style’ JSA.

What you’ll get

There’s a maximum amount you can get. The figure depends on things like your age, income and savings. Use a benefits calculator to check how much JSA you can get and how any other benefits will be affected.

If you’re under 24, you’ll get up to £58.90 per week. Those aged 25 and over will get up to £74.35, and couples both claiming JSA will get up to £116.80. 

How you’re paid

Payments are usually made every 2 weeks. All benefits, pensions and allowances are usually paid into your bank, building society or credit union account. You can have your JSA paid directly into your sync. account. 


Read more below to find out about claiming Universal Credit… 

"We want to support all our customers who are facing unemployment as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic."

Applying for Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly – or twice a month for some people in Scotland.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or if you cannot work.

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you already get any of these benefits, you just need to report a change in circumstances. 

Those who do not already claim Universal Credit will need to make a new application on the government website. You’ll get your first payment around 5 weeks after applying online if your application is successful. When you apply, you can ask for an advance if you need help sooner.

If you get tax credits, they will stop when you or your partner applies for Universal Credit. Make sure you understand how tax credits and Universal Credit affect each other before you apply.

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you get the severe disability premium or are entitled to it. If you have a change of circumstances that affects the severe disability premium or your other benefits, report it and you’ll be told what to do next.


We hope these short guides will help you get started. We recommend visiting the government website for more details and to apply for JSA or Universal Credit. We wish you all the best with your job search. Don’t forget that sync. is hiring for a variety of roles. Visit the sync. jobs page to learn more and apply. 

We are hiring!

Let’s make a difference.


Enjoyed Reading?

Share this article

Share on twitter
Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Share on email


to download on